Monday, August 20, 2012

Words

School started for us last week.

So each day I do a multitude of routine tasks.  One of which is a 40 mile commute to my job and 40 miles home.


Like most of the country, thanks to the high temperatures and lack of rain over the past three months, we're in a moderate drought state. 

Even though we're still in the drought, over the last few days something miraculous happened: it rained.  Good, steady rain that soaks into the ground. 

But today I noticed something.  The fields no longer looked like this:





Instead, they looked like this:


And I couldn't help but think about how like the rainfall, our words have power.  Our words can deplete others, making our homes, classrooms and families dry up.  Like the thirsty land, they have a hard time making any growth.  And we stand to the side, shake our heads and wonder when it will change.

But what a difference words can make.  Like the rain that replenishes, our words can help nourish and make those around us not only live, but thrive. 

If you're like me, you get a little overwhelmed sometimes-lots of tasks, committees, assessments and meetings.  And sometimes many of those can hinder my best intentions of making sure every child feels safe, needed and cared for in my classroom.

So this year, in addition to trying to making sure I don't let the trivial things become huge, I want to be intentional about making my words cultivate my classroom (and the meetings, the PLCs, the ARCs, the end of the day, and the...you get the picture).

May I not forget that like those little ones, I too seek out words that affirm.  And may they be used every single day in my room.

I want to make my words count.

No comments:

Post a Comment